Thursday, December 6, 2007

All in a Hard Days Work


Working from home has been a challenge, but we are starting to get a pattern down. Matt has been able to be home a lot too, which is nice. This is his slow time of year, since the weather keeps people from getting their cars detailed (yes, we actually have had rain the past two weeks).

When it's just me and Claire, I drag over the ottoman and lay her next to where I have my laptop set up, or today I tried out her little chair (the Bumbo, for those who speak baby product) so she was up close and personal while I worked. She isn't quite ready to stay in it very long - but her neck is almost strong enough I think. I just get paranoid - I even had a dream that she fell over in it, so I'm probably being overly cautious.

One unpleasant side effect from being back at work is that I think my new laptop is giving me carpul tunnel - the fingers on my right hand have been numb for about 2+ weeks now, and that's the only change I can think of. I need to go see a doctor, but who do you see for that kind of stuff? I brought a keyboard home from the office so I can use what I'm used to - that's all I need is to have to get surgery or something and not be able to use my right hand.... Let's hope that doesn't happen. Any ideas anyone?

4 comments:

Amy B. said...

Hi Shannon!

Sorry to hear your laptop key board is causing problems. I've had carpel tunnel for sometime and finally got fed up with it and switch my mouse. I'm right handed so it took a couple of months to get used to mouse work with my left. It was very frustrating at first but hang with it, you'll figure it out.

If you move your mouse to your other hand, don't forget to swap your mouse buttons too (under control panel in Windows).

Hope to see you soon!

Amy Brooks
http://www.brooksfamily.org/wordpress/?p=293

Angie said...

Hi, I met you one time in Parowan with Tom and Emily. You probably don't remember, but anyway, I saw that you are using a Bumbo for your little girl (who is very cute by the way!). My baby is almost 4 months old and we have one too and I love it, but a friend of mine put her little girl in theirs on the counter and when the baby arched her back she flipped the whole thing over and off the counter. Very scary. Just thought you'd like the warning!

Jacqui said...

Hi Shan,

We LOVE our Bumbo. I had to get one for Ethan b/c he had torticollis, where his neck was pulled over to one side and the muscles were all tight on the other (either because he as 10 lbs. or b/c of the forcep delivery). Anyway, it kept him off his head so it wouldn't get flat. We're using it for Eliza now b/c she settles down to sleep with her head turned to the left, and now has flat spot on that side of her head! Anyway! I would say, dont' put any chair on an elevated surface. Ethan catapulted himself out of the Bumbo at about 5 months. I just made sure it was on the floor as he got a bit more wiggly. Also, they now make a tray to fit the bumbo, which I'll get as soon as Eliza starts reaching for toys. It is a little frustrating to play with toys in that chair. So, there is my blah, blah, blah on the subject! Hope your carpal tunnel ends soon. Do you sleep on your hands? I used to have to wear a brace at night. It was only my right hand during college (English major--lots of writing, plus my piano practicing), but then I had to wear one on both hands for awhile. I found I was sleeping on my stomache with my hands under my legs. Anyway, a thought...

L.and.R said...

Claire is a doll!! Glad you get to work from home so much!! Promise I'll check in more often...please tell Matt I might need him to detail my car when I am in Las Vegas for Christmas/New Years if he wants to :)...let's talk soon.

Love,
Lori