Thursday, August 12, 2010

Grilled Pizza

My oven is still broken - I guess I just don't miss it that much in the summer, so we haven't even had it on our to-do list while the temps hover around 105. We have been using the grill and the crock pot more, and I like it because they are usually healthy recipes and the house stays cool.

I have been wanting to try grilled pizza for awhile but I thought the dough would just droop between the grill and be a huge mess. It wasn't a mess at all! And it turned out really good! I used my regular pizza dough recipe (still using your recipe Jacqui) and made BBQ chicken pizza - you can really use any recipe, even store-bought dough. I also watched this tutorial on AllRecipes.com that helped.

The main tips I picked up were to make smaller pizzas so they are easier to flip - you grill one side, flip it, and then put the toppings on really quick and heat until the cheese melts. I think the pizzas cooked in about 5 minutes total, and they had that brick-oven taste with a little bit of char.

7 comments:

Kara said...

Wow, I'm impressed! That looks so yummy! Way to get creative! Who needs an oven anyway?

Stephanie Carmi said...

YUM. Looks great!

Beej said...

Smack me sideways, that looks so delicious. I miss living with you and your culinary ways.

Becky said...

They look delish!!!

Erick and Megan said...

Yum! That is so crazy I just ripped a grilled pizza recipe out of a magazine like 2 days ago and I saw it on the Foodnetwork too! Glad it really works!

Niels and Susie Jensen said...

Just rediscovered your blog. I think I had seen it years ago, but you are officially on my Google Reader now :) Hope you are having a great trip.

Jacqui said...

Yummy! My blogroll isn't updating, so I had about five posts to catch up on. I definitely have to try this on the grill. Good to know my dough recipe will work. Isn't it the best?! Love it! (I think originally it was Great Aunt Berla's. With a name like that, it has to be good, right?!)