Sunday, July 14, 2013

Summer Luau

We were invited to a church luau with my aunt and uncle, complete with hula girls, warriors doing the haka dance and fire dancers. The dinner portion of the evening was inside, but the show was out in the parking lot of the church.

I was all set to bail if it was too hot - I get all sorts of grouchy when I'm sweaty in the wrong setting and I turn into a party pooper. If I'm playing basketball it's OK to be sweaty. But sitting in a metal chair outside in 100+ degree heat with my regular clothes on? Sweating is just wrong. I have decided that in Las Vegas you are either freezing cold or sweltering hot in the Summer. Can a girl find a happy medium please? But once the sun went down, it wasn't too bad outside so we stayed for the show.






Every time I see a performance like this, I think, "What is my culture? What will I pass on or teach my kids? I don't have a traditional family dance or food or musical instrument. I guess my family has our own traditions, music, favorite meals, and of course I have religious history and teachings to teach my children, but it's nothing exotic. Maybe I need to study my Swedish roots and find some interesting cultural facts. Stay tuned. :)

No comments: