Monday, February 24, 2014

YW New Beginnings - A Diamond in the Rough

We had our New Beginnings program Sunday and our theme was "You are a Diamond in the Rough: Come Unto Christ and be Perfected in Him." I got to plan a lot of the program and it was fun to use the diamond theme. We could have spent a lot of money on all the cute things we found. Here are the invitations that were given to all the 11 year old girls turning 12 this year, along with the girls who are already in the Young Women's program.



This was our overall theme and we used this image on our program, had it printed as a large print and framed for the wall display, and gave the girls a framed version as well.


Our desserts were cupcakes with edible diamonds and chocolate cake balls to represent coal turning into diamonds - we talked about how it takes incredible amounts of pressure to turn carbon into a diamond. And our girls will face pressure throughout their lives, that's for sure. Our bishop talked about how diamonds are cut into 85 facets to reflect light and sparkle - our goal is to reflect the light of Christ. It was a great night with musical numbers and fabulous talks from our girls.


It was bitter sweet for me because I got to plan a lot of the program and work closely with the leaders and girls, but it was my last event with the young women. I was released from my calling with the youth last week and I was asked a few weeks ago to take on a different assignment - so I have been doing both jobs. We are all volunteers - so my pay was doubled :)

It's basically doing public relations for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Southern Nevada. The official calling is Assistant Director of Public Affairs - Media Relations. I am nervous and humbled to represent the Church in the media. If I mess up at a youth activity, we might not have treats or something. If I mess up with this calling, it might be in the newspaper... no pressure.

I will miss you ladies! See you at church and please keep babysitting my kids :) 

1 comment:

Emily said...

Wow, congrats on your new calling! You will do great!