Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!

Sometimes I think my mom became a photographer because then she could control if she was in the picture or not. But every now and then we would sneak one in. I have this photo framed on my kitchen counter. This is exactly the type of photo I love being in with my kids. I am in it, but not the main focus. That's kind of how moms are, right?


So what can I learn about my mom from one single photo?

1. She sewed us matching dresses - so she was frugal (sewing used to be a way to save money, doesn't seem like that anymore), she wanted her girls to be cute and coordinated, and she was talented at sewing.

2. She has nice gams!

3. She took us on walks - Mom has always been active and loves the outdoors and often exercises outside. I think she keeps her job at an elementary school just so she can be outside most of the day.

4. My hair is braided with a clip - my hair was always done. Having met a woman in her late 20s who blames her lack of hygiene and hair care on a mom who never did her hair even as a young girl in school, I think this attention and care demonstrates love. It takes time and an incredible amount of patience to do TWO girls' hair every day, let alone more like other moms I know.

5. We lived out in the country - lots of trees and fresh air and not many neighbors. My parents moved to our little Northern California community so we could grow up in that kind of environment. The very same place I was so ready to leave and was way too mature for is now the type of place I wish I could live someday.

Happy Mother's Day Mom! Thank you for the photo and I love you!

No comments: