Saturday, October 20, 2007

What I've Learned So Far...

I've decided that being a mom is really the only way you can truly appreciate your own... I had no idea how much time and attention goes into raising a child, let alone five kids like my mom did. And I had no idea how much you can love this little person who we just met, but who has been with me for almost 10 months before she was even born.

And life is funny - it's like all these little tests come into your path along the way to either make you a better mom, or drive you crazy... I can't tell yet which one is happening to me. :)

So far, a few funny things have happened to me that I think only happen to moms - and here are a few things I've learned so far, some fun, some serious:

1. Your baby will be a perfect angel while you go shopping at Target after finally getting yourself a shower that day, plus makeup (a big day around here), but then just as you are wrapping up your trip she will poop her pants and cry the whole way through the check out line... Murphy's Law

2. Guaranteed, when you jump out of the shower only to find a crying baby waiting for you, and decide to nurse her sans clothing, the doorbell will ring... and ring... and ring... forcing you to run downstairs in your towel to greet the flower delivery guy who you hope you'll never see again (true story).

3. There is nothing better than seeing your man cuddle your baby and whisper little lovey things to her... Matt makes up little names for Claire, it is so cute! I love him so much!

4. Your baby will always look better than you do - we went for a walk today and ran into our neighbors who wanted to see Claire. We had her dressed so cute in all pink, wearing her little white Keds and a pink and white bow in her hair. Matt and I were practically in our pajamas and hadn't showered yet. Nice!

5. This whole experience is why people have more kids - any amount of pain, discomfort, or stretchmarks is totally worth it!! We are smitten with Claire, and are learning so much about ourselves and being parents.

Thanks to our parents for all they did and still do for us!

2 comments:

Emily said...

I love this post! Shannon you are an awesome writer! I laughed, I cried, and now I miss you guys even more! I wish we could see you with your new little girl. It sounds like you guys are loving every minute of being parents. (Well, maybe not loving the pooping and screaming in Target part, but it makes for a great story.) Can't wait to see you guys over the holidays.

Em

Jacqui said...

You've gotta get that post in a journal. All of it is so true and aren't women truly amazing? We balance so much having children, and keep having them because they are such blessings! You are a great mom already, I can tell!