Saturday, February 9, 2008

Dinner Idea for the Week

I did this last week and I think it really saved me time making dinners, and it even gave me some to freeze for dinners and lunches later on.

I was making a recipe that calls for cubed chicken - so any chicken recipe that you are using that needs diced/cubed chicken can apply. I decided to boil the chicken instead of baking it - so I could use the broth to make chicken soup for another meal.

So, I used twice as much chicken, and while the chicken was boiling (I found out I can add it in already frozen, by the way), I got out ingredients for chicken noodle soup. I kind of made up my own recipe, so you can look up a recipe or do what I did -I just threw in some random veggies:

canned corn
baby carrots
zuccini
potatoes
celery

And added salt and pepper to taste, and a bit of italian seasoning (oregeno, basil, etc) and some pasta (or rice).

Then when the chicken was done cooking I took it out - cubed it all, and put half back into the broth along with the veggies and spices and cooked the soup while the other meal was prepared. Then I put half of the soup in a freezer bag to save for a quick mid-week meal, and put the other half in a container to heat and serve the next night with a salad and bread (hint: I bought twice as much sourdough rolls so I could use the extras the following night to make meatball sandwiches - with ready made meatballs of course).

Anyway, I am all about looking for quick meals at night. I get home around 6 pm from work and I have such a short time with Claire before she goes to bed that I hate to spend it cooking some big dinner... Keep posting your quick meal tips - I love getting them!

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

Try adding a bit of yellow curry powder (maybe 1 tsp?) and a couple shakes of Worchestershire sauce to the chicken soup. It makes it soooo good.

I always like to cook way too much chicken for a meal, cut it up and freeze/fridge it for another meal. I like to get bagged salads and throw the chicken on top. I LOVE the Grand Asian cabbage salad at Costco. So good and low points. With chicken on top, it's a meal. I also like the Grand Parisian salad. We really enjoy the spinach/mozzerella ravioli from Costco, too. Super easy, pretty low cal and yum.

Another thing I like to do it make marinara sauce, eat it with whole wheat pasta one night, then several days later I pour the leftovers over chicken and bake it. Easy-peasy.

Here's a good crockpot recipe:

Pork roast or pork chops (about 4?), salt and peppered. You can sear them first, or just toss them in.

Scrubbed, unpeeled sweet potatoes

about 1 c. apple juice or sauce

a couple beef boullion cubes

Put all on low for for about 5 or more hours, or high for about 3. Yummo.