Sunday, July 6, 2008

4th of July Recap

My mom came into town on Monday night and stayed through the 4th of July - I called her on a particularly trying day and just needed some help from my mom. Ever have a day like that? So she booked a flight and two weeks later came out to visit us.

I was talking to my sister, who came down this week with her husband and daughter (who turned 2 on the 4th - what a fun b-day to have!), and we both agreed that you don't truly appreciate your mom, or I guess really understand her until you are a mom yourself. I think I discovered how much she did for me once I went away to college, but that's different from what I'm talking about. I just look at Claire and how much I love her, and I think - please don't be mean to me someday, like I was mean to my mom... I don't think I was the worst kid out there, but I sure could have shown more gratitude and respect towards my mom and her sacrifices for our family. Anyway, this is turning into a Mother's Day tribute more than a 4th of July recap. Thanks for coming to visit Mom!!






We had a great time - even with Claire being a bit sick during the week. My mom watched her for me on Tues and Wed, then I had Thurs and Fri off - a wonderful, much-needed 4 day weekend. We went to the Bellagio (patriotic theme), had a photo shoot with Claire and McKinley - where every single photo with both girls was a struggle, watched fireworks go off at Red Rock Station (amazing!) and went swimming. Becky and Danny also got in some geocaching (sp?)- just too darn hot for me to get out there though.



I think Claire misses the extra attention of Grandma and Aunt Becky - she is being a stinker lately. Or maybe it's cutting two new top teeth - for those counting at home, those make 6 teeth. And she's only 9 months!!

4 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so glad you got a visit from your mom...everyone needs those once in awhile! Geocaching is super fun!

Love the swimming pics too.
I'm ready for Claire to come and play with me tomorrow!

Erick and Megan said...

Oh you did have a fun time! Claire's smile is so big and pretty! The dress you made turned out darling!

SGubler said...

So hello Hiller family! Long time no see. Congrats on the beautiful little girl. She is the perfect mix of both of you. Matt, Ashley Earl told me she ran into you, and then she gave me your blog address. Sorry for being a stalker. But it's great to see you, even if just on the internet. Hope you're doing well. Email me sometime: smgwinn@gmail.com.

Emily said...

Holy cow! 6 teeth! Way to go Claire! You're way ahead of Reagan. She's still gumming away with her two bottom teeth. It's so funny how different babies are. Cali and Reagan are about as opposite as can be. Cali was really vocal (that video of Claire saying "hi" totally reminded me of Cal) where as Reagan is a much quieter baby. But she's also definitely our walker. Cali didn't even try to walk until she was like a year and a half. Seriously...I carried that girl everywhere!

I love that your mom came to visit. I can't ell you how many times I had my mom or Tommy's mom sleep over back when he was working at the Venetian. Even when they come to visit us know, I cry like a baby when they leave. Thank goodness for moms!

ps. Claire, I love your sun bonnet. You are adorable!