Saturday, July 19, 2008

Reflections

Just thinking this morning about a very tragic incident that happened in my hometown of Placerville, CA on Thursday - a woman that has been in my parent's ward for years was shot and killed while helping her daughter move into a home close by my parent's home. The woman had been evicted and was angry about it, enough so that she decided to shoot and kill the new tenants.

Our friend was able to call 911 after being shot, her daughter had already passed away. But then she died on the way to the hospital. I was not close personal friends with either of them, though we have known their family since I was a kid and they have always shown us the greatness kindess. Yet I am seriously disturbed and upset by the idea of this sweet woman gunned down in our seemingly peaceful rural community.

I feel humbled at the thought that our lives are so fragile, and also not always under our control - others can affect us too. They have their own moral agency that allows their actions to impact us through no choice of our own.

While sad at this loss, and upset at the way Jan left this world, I know this life is not the end of our existence. It puts things into perspective for me, and I want to live each day like it's my last, as cliche as that might be. I love you all and am so grateful for family and friends - thank you for your impact in my life.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh man that's tough. It's so much harder when something like that happens to someone that you know; just makes it more real and sad. But like you said, it makes you stop and think about the good things we have in our lives and the people we hold close.

Kara said...

I have totally been feeling like this lately too. I have had the chance to reflect about life after attending two funerals of young people in the past few weeks. It's so sad when someone has to go that still has so much life left to live. It really makes me want to cherish every moment and be happy with life and not take anything for granted. That is a really sad story.