Friday, August 7, 2009

Baby Hiller Update

I went in for my weekly doctor visit yesterday and everything seems to be going ok, in spite of my doctor's increased concern over the size of the baby. My last doctor was predicting that Claire would be almost 10 pounds, and she was born 8 lbs 1 oz, so I didn't really believe that this baby was going to be too large either.

But, since I have a new doctor this time around, I guess she wanted to be sure since she was predicting that the baby was already 8 pounds. I am 37 weeks on Sunday, which is considered full term - babies typically gain something like 1/2 a pound each week in the last few weeks, so I guess she was thinking a ten-pounder was on his way if I waited to deliver on my due date. She had that "induce her now!" look in her eyes.

So... after waiting an hour and a half to see my doc for a 3 minute visit, I was asked to wait again for an unscheduled ultrasound to measure the baby so they could determine his weight. The ultrasound measurements can be off +/- 1 pound. I was excited to see the baby and have the ultrasound, so even though it was now an hour past my lunchtime I agreed to wait.

It was pretty cool to see the baby, although they kept the ultrasound zoomed in pretty tight for measurements so I didn't get a full profile or body shot. We did see the baby doing what the doc called practice breathing - his ribs moving up and down while he "breathed" in fluids, which is a good sign.

So, with the measurements completed, the estimated weight was only 6 pounds. Told ya. I guess he could be 7 lbs with the margin of error, since my doctor said there was no way he was only 5 pounds. She said we will just wait then - meaning her alternative plan was to induce me soon if he was in fact 8 pounds. I could tell she was very suprised to be wrong. I have a large uterus, apparently. Who knew?

Being induced does appeal to me only so I can have a scheduled date to go in - my mom will know when to visit, I can finally tell my work when my last day before maternity leave will be (for now I said I will work up to my due date, or the day I just don't show up) but I like to have things on my calendar, lists crossed off, plans made and carried out. :) So, stay tuned I guess!

PS - no final name choices yet, sorry. But even if we do narrow down the list, we won't decide on a final name until the baby is born. I need to look into his little face first.

4 comments:

Mere and Matt said...

Thanks for the update! Doctors these days; what do they know??

Alifinale said...

I am all about inducing and getting the baby out...oh and the planning part too. I loved Dr. Ivie for that reason too, she was always willing. Good luck! Glad that the baby wasn't too huge.

And I am the same way, I can't fully decide on a name until the baby is here in real life.

Kara said...

I am glad they did an ultrasound to put your mind at ease a little. I am like you though, I like to have things scheduled and planned out. Predicting when a baby is really going to arrive is torture! Especially when it's so hot! I feel for you!

Erika said...

You're beautiful, funny, and talented. Now you get to add large uterus to your bragging rights. I loved my two out of three inductions. I say, induce away. And I'm so with you on seeing the sweet boy before deciding on his name. This is so exciting. It almost makes me want to have another, almost.