Friday, May 14, 2010

Why do we have insurance again?

Miles just had his 9 month check up - after two kids, I am finally getting smart about checking what my insurance covers and what it doesn't. I highly recommend finding out how much they will pay for immunizations. I got curious after his 6 month check up invoice came for almost $300, AFTER insurance.

I have United Health Care, and each person gets $500 in preventative coverage per year on our plan. For a baby that goes to 6+ doctor appointments in one year, that $500 doesn't go very far. As of March, Miles had already used over $300. So, after a bit of research I found out that if you have insurance, a vaccine will cost on average $200 that is then billed to your insurance, who will only pay a percentage and the rest comes out of your pocket. However, I asked what they charge if you pay cash and don't have insurance. I was shocked to find out that each shot is only $16. My pediatrician was quick to say that by law they must bill my insurance if they know I have coverage. Well, then I will switch pediatricians and say I don't have insurance. How sad that by having insurance I am actually spending more money. Makes me wonder...

I also checked out our local health district for options. They have several locations across the valley and if you are willing to brave the masses and stand in line, one immunization is $16, and two or more is only $25. Miles is due for four shots at his one year well check, so I am seriously considering changing doctors and just doing the check up, then going to the health district for the immunizations. Anyone have a recommendation?

3 comments:

Erika said...

Wow! That is wrong. Insurance companies and doctor's offices make me crazy. They make some valid points and then do completely irritating, wrong, stupid things. I'd brave the health departments.

Mere and Matt said...

Just an FYI about Health Departments: they won't let you get the shot there if you have insurance. (That's the case here--I ran into the same issue and almost pulled my hair out when I realized how expensive it is to insure a chlid.) Hopefully it's different there. OR--move to Washington. Every kid in the state gets their vaccinations FREE!

Jacqui said...

That's crazy. I'd change doctors and pay cash.