Monday, March 14, 2011

Leggings Rant

While observing the flow of humanity around me at Disneyland, a disturbing fashion trend caught my attention. When did leggings make the jump to being actual pants? Cause, they aren't.

For me, leggings are meant to be worn under something, preferably a longer something that covers up your bootie. All around me were women of all shapes and sizes wearing very tight leggings, often almost stretched to the point of sheerness (is that a word?). And don't get me started on "jeggings." Not a fan. Anyway, I digress, and I have more complaining to do.

I also don't like the trend I have seen of wearing a skirt or dress that would normally be way too short to be considered appropriate for church or work, and all of a sudden you add leggings and the outfit is somehow considered modest. I guess I am showing my age - I am starting to feel annoyed at things around me that shouldn't get to me - loud music, any gathering of 3 or more teenagers, movie theater patrons, and I guess now the inappropriate use of "stretchy pants."

Though sometimes "when you're a man, you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun" (Nacho Libre). For those of you who can pull off this look, more power to you!

7 comments:

~ kietra ~ said...

I agree with you on ALL of the above! :)

Nicole said...

I know! Seriously, what the heck are these ladies thinking, it does not look cute! I bought jeggings for my baby, that's as close as I will get to those. :)

Unknown said...

hahaha Shannon I love it! I completely agree!

Erika said...

Unless you're under 10 years of age, you CANNOT pull this trend off. Do people really look in the mirror and think, "Yes! That is the look I was going for!" NASTY!

Becky said...

I AGREE!!! I have been seeing so many girls just wearing leggings and little tops. What?! I was watching the Apprentice and Star Jones was trying to pull that outfit off. Beige colored leggings, YIKES! Yikes, to anyone wearing them actually.

Jacqui said...

I can't believe I never commented on this. I've had the exact same discussion numerous times with my family members. AGREED!

Jacqui said...

Although, I should mention that I am in a musical with members from my stake. There is a lady in her 50's who TOTALLY pulls off the leggings/jeggings and boots look. She seriously rocks it and I envy her!!