Saturday, April 9, 2011

Vegas Sunrise

This past week I have seen more sunrises than maybe the past 5 years combined. Waking up at 4:30 am to exercise is not my idea of a good time, but I signed up for a boot camp class and the only time that really worked with my schedule was the 5 am class, about 15 minutes away. I started on Tuesday, and the first thing we did was grab a 15 lb weight (ball or hand weight) and run 1.5 miles. Yes, run. I haven't ran a mile in at least a year - though maybe if you add up all the back and forths on the basketball court each week, I probably end up running that far in the hour that we play.

The class is at a park, complete with hills and a dirt trail. I was hurting. But, I did it. Then we had to do 4 sets of 25 sit ups, 25 push ups, 25 mountain climbers, and 25 curb sits - basically sitting down and standing up til your quads are on fire!! And then, insult to injury, we had to run another mile, with the weight. Though the main rule in boot camp is "No Walking!" I just had to walk on the last mile. I was just about the last person to finish, but at least I kept moving.

Before you are impressed that I did this all week, don't be. On my way to class the second morning, running late and envisioning being forced to do more push ups with my limp noodle arms in front of everyone as punishment, I was pulled over by probably the only nice motorcycle cop in town - and received the second speeding ticket I've had in my life. So, 20 minutes later I really was late to class, so I just couldn't face the instructor. Instead I went to the gym and made myself run a mile, then run/walk another one, and do the other exercises in class.

I have decided that I can actually be a morning work out person again - before kids, I would go to 6 am classes all the time. I think boot camp isn't for me - I have anxiety about it, I am so worried about being late, or not being able to do the drills, that I wake up all night long. But, I am going to go back, mainly because I paid for the month, but it's not going to be my daily work out routine. At least it's got me moving again.

Also, I helped start a Biggest Loser competition at work (everyone has a hard time being healthy during tax season), so I need to get motivated for that. So far, we have $400 on the line! Time to get serious.

2 comments:

Kara said...

You are a brave woman! Boot camp sounds like torture!! I'm proud of you though and you should be proud. I don't think I could run over a mile carrying a weight and then do all those push-ups! I'm a weakling these days! So, have you made it back yet?

Erika said...

You can do this, Shannon! I know you can. Honestly, though, that workout sounds wicked! I'd be up all night worrying about it too. STILL, I think YOU can do it!