Thursday, April 2, 2015

He's Here! Baby Henry, Born April 2, 2015

I decided to make April 1st my first day of maternity leave, even though I was due on April 3. I normally can't stand the thought of even one day of leave wasted without a baby in my arms, but I couldn't stand my coworkers even more. So, I figured a few days of prep time was good for me, and I could finally finish packing that pesky hospital bag, since that little detail had always alluded me in the past.

Betty took the kids for us in the morning on Wednesday, April 1st. We planned to run errands, get a few things done and then meet up for lunch. We went to Sam's Club to buy some organizers/shelves, and then to Lowe's too. I wanted to just hang out for a second and rest on the couch before we went to get the kids.

While I was laying down, I felt the strangest sensation - almost like a little hand or foot reaching up through my skin. I could seriously feel fingers, like a little high five. Matt could feel it too. My skin felt so thin, like the baby was about to jump right out. About two minutes later, my water broke. I jumped off of the couch, probably the fastest I have moved in months, and ran to the bathroom. It was a huge gush of water, and while my bed was waterproofed long ago, the couch wasn't. I let out a big "wahooooo!!!" as I ran to the bathroom, but then as I sat on the toilet, I started crying... "April First!" I wailed. Matt started laughing - I had said all along that I really, REALLY didn't want him to be born on April Fools Day. Just my luck!

Betty headed over to our house instead of to lunch, and we packed our bags, took a quick shower, and headed to Centennial Hospital. We stopped for lunch on the way since I was starving and the nurses won't let you eat once you check in. Well, during that time, my water was still gushing - I was soaked, sitting on a towel in the van while Matt grabbed some sandwiches. By the time we got to the hospital, which is only about 15 minutes away, I was a big mess. I stepped out on the curb to get in a wheel chair and water leaked all over the ground, just like in the movies. I luckily brought the towel with me to sit on and we wheeled off to the second floor maternity ward.

Only to then sit and wait for 45 agonizing minutes in the "consulting room" just to the side of the waiting room. No one said a word to us, and I was getting super sassy waiting there, basically getting wetter and wetter. People would walk by us and look inside the room and say, "Oh honey..." with a sad look. I finally said, or basically yelled out to the front desk, "Is anyone coming??" They finally told me that all the rooms were full and they were waiting to clear a room for me. But miraculously, one minute later they brought me back into triage so I could change out of my wet clothes. I threw them in the garbage and put on a gown. The nurse came in to check if my water really had broken - seriously??? Yep, I just like wetting my pants for a solid hour and a half...

She pulled up my gown, ready with her little cotton swab, and she said, "Oh, I don't need to check you!" So whatever she saw down there, she knew my water had broken. Duh.  I can't believe how all three times my water has broken, they didn't believe me. I guess there are some women who can't tell the difference...

So once they verified that little detail, they had to admit me. I got a room about 20 minutes later, and I was at a 3, almost 4 cm. I got my epidural about 15 minutes later, which is super early for me. I was having contractions but nothing that I couldn't handle. I have always gotten the epidural when contractions are close and intense, and right when they are about to put in the needle a huge contraction comes up so all I can focus on is not moving so I'm not paralyzed for life. This time, I could focus on every painfully weird sensation that comes with getting the epidural... it was not pleasant. When I first sat back in my bed, I was seeing a ton of little black spots - I tried to catch them and I think Matt thought I was crazy. But after the spots went away, I felt pretty good. Well enough for these pics, and to post my impending labor to social media.



But the funny thing about going into labor on April Fool's Day is that no one believes you. Short of a photo me in a hospital gown holding the day's newspaper, this photo of my wrist bands had to prove I was in fact at Centennial Hills, having a baby.

I stayed dilated to 5 centimeters for about 4 to 5 hours, which was very frustrating, but the whole time I kept thinking, if I can only make it to midnight I won't have an April 1st baby. Around 11:30 or so, I felt a very strong urge to push... but I was only at 8 cm. If I had been having the baby at home or without nurses around me, I would have pushed. The epidural had worn off quite a bit, and I was feeling a lot of pressure. Pressure means push! I had to hold it back for almost an hour while they got the anaesthesiologist to give me another small dose in the epidural. And then, the urge to push stopped and I promptly I fell asleep around 1:00 am.  I can't believe I did that!

I was woken up by my doctor telling me it was time to push. That was surreal. Also, my regular doctor was on vacation for Spring Break, her back up was in Pahrump at a free clinic they hold once a week, so his backup came to deliver the baby. At this point, I wasn't worried about the doctor at all. I was like - nice to meet you, now let's do this!

I pushed through 3 contractions and at 2:18 am on April 2nd, this little bundle of cuteness was born. He weighed 7 lbs 14 oz and was 20 inches long.

Introducing, Henry Lee Hiller.








No comments: