Saturday, February 4, 2017

Valentine's Crafts with Friends

I was reading in my new book (it's been out awhile though) The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin that it's good to have projects, even when they seem like a lot of work, because looking forward to a project or an event is a big part of what brings you happiness. The anticipation, the planning, the preparation and the build up to the event is sometimes more fun than the event itself.

So when Claire asked to have a friend over, I uncharacteristacally decided to invite over some neighbor kids too and we would have a Valentine's craft party. The kids and I had fun buying the supplies for making cards.  I decided to make heart shaped pizzas with heart shaped pepperonis for lunch - pita bread for the win! I used my food scissors to cut them out and it was so easy! I didn't even steal that from Pinterest, though I'm sure someone else has already thought of it.




The kids helped set up the table and make stations for everyone, then they made cards for their teachers and their families and friends. Decorating cookies is just synonymous with Valentine's Day so we had sugar cookies with frosting, sprinkles, and candy hearts. I cannot resist a cookie, so buying those in advance did not work out so well for me... live and learn! Buy them the day before! That's also why I bought the candy I don't like for the kids' Valentine's Day parties at school. THREE kids in elementary means three card exchange parties. I opted for store bought this year with some assembly, versus homemade. More on that later.


Cucumber hearts... it sort of worked

Penelope's cookie... The lesson that "less is more" was lost on her
Anyway, the kids had fun - the pizza actually tasted really good. And now they have cards all set and ready to go. At one point I realized, I'm such an adult right now! I have six kids at my house and I'm in charge of them all! :) And they all survived too!

No comments: