Friday, September 14, 2007

Finally, Some News

Well, I just wanted to give you all an update from my doctor’s appointment today. I am 30% effaced (I had no idea what this meant before becoming pregnant – basically, the cervix is getting thinner to allow the baby to get out of my belly). He can’t check to see if I’m dilated or not because the baby is still so high – but it has dropped down a bit. He told me that he is surprised he can’t check me, and that only about 3-4 other women have had similar situations in the past. Apparently he has long fingers…. I know, it gives me the heebie jeebies too to think about it too. Anyway he is still concerned about the size of the baby (apparently I could have a 9 pounder by now). And he said that a C-section is more likely to come if we let the baby get too big, versus giving me an induction without being terribly advanced in labor yet.

So, I have a date with the hospital on Wednesday the 19th to be induced. The plan is to have the baby right on my due date – the 20th. I feel pretty good about that – not early, not for convenience sake, let’s just get it done. I go in at 4 pm, then it’s supposed to take like 12 hours for the induction drugs to work, and the plan is to have the baby the next morning. I have a special bacteria (that one in seven healthy women carry) that requires the administration of a specific medicine 6 hours before the baby is born, so this takes care of that concern as well. If I had a fast labor, they would miss the window of time to give me the medicine, and it could harm the baby.

But, who knows? I could go into labor tomorrow all on my own. I am hoping to have a few days off to actually get stuff done, so if I make it to Wed it will actually be perfect… we’ll keep you posted. I plan to send out a mass text message just to get everyone updated at once – then we’ll have phone calls later once we are all up for it. So many unknowns...

Today is my last day of officially working in the office before maternity leave – woo hoo! So remember, use my yahoo address please (dittosrj@yahoo.com).

1 comment:

Emily said...

I have to admit that when I clicked over to your page just now and saw the pictures of you and Matt I got all choked up thinking that you are now PARENTS! Congratulations! We can't wait to hear all about your new little girl.

Love, Tom and Em