Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Week 2 Update

So, we made it through our first week as new parents. My mom and dad left this morning and I felt very alone. Matt was off at school already and I kind of had a little tear-fest when they said goodbye. I thought - you are 29 years old, you shouldn't cry when your mom leaves you. I could blame the hormones, but I really am a bit nervous about doing this without her.

I think Matt and I have been doing pretty good taking care of Claire - she is a good eater, not fussy, and so darn cute that it seems to come easily... so far. But everything else my mom took care of - food, laundry, the house, etc. I am so appreciative of her taking a week to be with us - now it's on to a dose of reality for us.

Another new change for our family is that Matt has been asked (and has accepted) an assignment to teach early morning seminary. For those of you not familiar with this, it is like a Sunday School class for high school students, before school. It starts at 5:45 am and it's 5 days a week. I know Matt is so excited to do this, and he is a great teacher. In fact, the 16-17 year-olds he teaches at church now requested that he be asked to teach. The selfish part of me is thinking - I don't want to share my husband right now... I need help! So, I am praying to find patience and to be really positive.

He started on Monday and so far, so good. I'll have him tell a bit about the classes once he gets more into it.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Shannon, I bawled like a baby the first night Tom went back to work. It's so overwhelming to have this little person who you are responsible for. You'll do great. And I'm sure Matt is an awesome seminary teacher. Just think of all of the blessings :)

kh said...

Claire is lovely! And, yes, Matt will be an incredible seminary teacher. You'll do great...you're so capable.

Jacqui said...

Shan, I have cried my head off every time my mom leaves after a birth. I bawl and bawl. Suddenly you realize what an angel your mom is. Your Claire is beautiful!!