Saturday, September 6, 2008

Trip to CA

Some highlights from our Labor Day trip to CA to visit the Johnsons - my parents just dropped off my youngest brother Matt at the MTC last week, and then we stopped in for a visit just two days later to keep those empty nesters company. We enjoyed our time with them and Claire was definitely spoiled - but that's what a trip to grandma and grandpas is supposed to be about, right? It was a very musical trip - piano, harmonica, keyboard, and bagpipes - yes bagpipes - were played for Claire. We all loved her little head bopping to the music so music was the theme of the trip, for sure.


We also made a trip down to Old Sacramento for 49er Days - a celebration of the gold rush in Northern CA - people are dressed in period costume, they brought in dirt to cover the streets so it really did look like an old west town. The sidewalks are wood, and parts of the streets are still cobble stone. Claire got to ride in a wagon with her cute cousin Lily, pulled by Uncle Erick. She loved it!

I also had to stop by some favorite restaurants - what does that say about me that my favorite stops when I go home are eateries? I love this places called Sunflower Drive-Up - it's an all natural, healthy, organic place that serves a ton of stuff I would never order - carob milk, only all natural sodas, and many, many tofu items. But we are hooked on the nut burgers - so good! Matt even ate one and said it wasn't so bad. We will hopefully be back for one soon! And to see the parents, of course ;)

Playing the piano with Grandpa


A bagpipe serenade



Old Sacramento for 49er days (we are big into our gold history in CA)




A visit to see Uncle Erick at the fire station



The keyboard that was not allowed to come home with us

3 comments:

Emily said...

I LOVE that you guys wouldn't take the keyboard home. You're awesome! Way to put a stop to that headache before it even begins! Claire, you are the cutest. Seriously, I wish your little outfits fit me. Your mommy's got great taste :)

Mere and Matt said...

Your dad is a firefighting bagpipe player?! I bet he's the only one on the planet who can say he's combined those two talents. We have no Thanksgiving plans yet..(is that the vacation you were wondering about?) How about you guys?

cropstar said...

That first photo of Claire is SO AWESOME! Haha!
Looks like you guys had a super fun trip.