Friday, September 26, 2008

Young Women's - Take 151

So, I have calculated that I have been a part of, or been in charge of, at least 150 Young Women's activities over the past 3+ years. It gets difficult to think up a new activity every week.

So this week, I finally found a use for these cute little lip gloss pots that I bought about five years ago, thinking that I would start my own lip gloss line of products someday. Side note: I am addicted to all things lips. I have chapstick or lipgloss stashed away in pretty much every purse, diaper bag, drawer and car console. Anyway, I digress. So, I decided to use these pots to make homemade lipgloss for our young women's activity. It actually turned out very well! We made coconut, strawberry and peppermint flavors.

Here is the recipe and a few pics from our activity night. My car still smells like coco-berry-mint.



4 T. petroleum jelly (vaseline)
2 t. beeswax
ground eyeshadow (it should look like a powder)
medicine dropper
lip gloss containers

Grate the beeswax so that it's easier to melt. Put eye shadow into one section of an ice cube tray. Melt in pan on medium heat. Add extract for desired scent (vanilla, cherry, coconut, root beer, etc). Use a dropper to transfer the liquid into the ice cube tray. Use the dropper to mix the color throughout the liquid (squeeze it in and out). Use the dropper to transfer to pots and then freeze until solid (10-15 minutes). This batch will make about 4 pots of lip gloss.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Wow neat project, I would never have thought to use eye shadow. That is a lot of activity planning! I bet the girls love you.

Mere and Matt said...

Great idea. We did this once at an enrichment but used industrial chemical type materials...the gloss made my lips burn...last time I'm doing that. Yours looks much more user friendly.