Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving Festivities

This year, and for many years prior, Matt wanted to deep-fry our turkey for Thanksgiving dinner. You have to wonder about the safety of such an undertaking when the local firefighters do news stories on how to not burn up your house while frying a turkey, and even State Farm Insurance dedicated a commercial to insuring your home against mishaps like a fried turkey disaster. So, against my better judgment and my firefighter's daughter upbringing, Matt was in charge of cooking the turkey with Betty doing the brine.

Enter Alton Brown of the Food Network. We had seen an episode of Good Eats where he shows you how to safely fry a turkey, which involves creating this contraption that includes a ladder, a pulley system, and other basic hardware supplies. I think Matt and his dad did a pretty good job at duplicating it - and even with a short scare that the turkey was undercooked (only a few parts were) we had a great turkey!


Matt's brother Nick was visiting from Reno and got to meet Miles for the first time. Claire hadn't seen him since Easter but she kept telling him "Don't leave!" when he was getting ready to head back home today.


We had some great food, watched football, played games, ate some more, and also had a visit with Betty's cousin Jay today to end the weekend. It was a great Thanksgiving, and I managed to lose 3 lbs at my weigh in on Saturday, which made me very happy since I was just hoping to maybe stay the same. Now bring on the Christmas cookies, I'm getting the hang of this!

2 comments:

Erika said...

Ya gotta love Alton Brown.

The pic of Claire listening to her cousin read is so sweet.

Jen H. said...

Send me these pictures! I love your camera! :)