Friday, January 4, 2013

Resolutions

I'm ready to make some changes in my life and schedule that will let me focus more on my kids. I'm ready to not have so many things fighting for a place inside my thoughts. Even my dreams are stressful. I have decided that the source of a lot of this tension is when my worlds are colliding - working from home two days a week is great, but it also means being a mom and PR person at the same time. A great example is when I try to fit in a conference call around a nap that isn't happening no matter how much I threaten or bribe. I use the mute button way too often to hiss at Miles to be quiet while hoping the person on the other end of the phone didn't notice when I hop back on the call and try to act like I heard what they were saying.

No, I'm not quitting my job. Not an option just yet, since Matt was recently accepted into the Masters of Accountancy program at UNLV - we are in for two more years of school. Since he didn't have an undergrad degree in accounting, they tack on 21 additional credits to the 32 credits required for a Masters. He's excited and ready to get back into school after being home with the kids for the past year, but I know it will be a big adjustment to such a technical major after Communications. And Im allowed to say that since I work for accountants and was a Comms major. We took business classes, but only one accounting class was required. Anyway, I digress...

So, in the meantime I need to change my other commitments. I need to learn to say NO. I need to ask for help, even if it's just to my husband. Letting go of the things that aren't really necessities is one of my big New Year's Resolutions. Now I just need to get brave enough to not let opportunities to earn money make decisions for me.... My other resolution is one I have just about every year, but one that I am just so ready to own - find my old body somewhere inside this new "squishy" one, as Miles called me the other day. Oh my. More on that later.

No comments: