Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Recipe Ideas

I am trying to make at least one new recipe a week -to see if we can find some keepers for our regular rotation of dinners. This week I am working with flank steak - it's pretty affordable and it's already thin, so it's easy to cook. I broiled two steaks in the oven - never done that before, just 7 minutes or so on each side. Then I had enough steak to use in three different dinners/lunches:

Steak Fajitas with peppers and onions (my new favorite seasoning packet is the Lawry's brand); served with sour cream and guacamole - yum! I use the 98% FF soft tacos, only 2 points.

Vietnamese Salad - Cook up some rice noodles and run under cold water; mix noodles with shredded carrots, diced cucumber, bean sprouts and mint leaves (if you like them) and then add in warm slices of beef. You can use different sauces - hoisin, fish sauce (traditional) or a hot sauce. Good summer salad.

Nachos - cut up smaller bits of the steak you have left - I bake mine in the oven on 400, add whatever toppings you want. I'm sure you can microwave them but they won't be as good.

This makes for really quick meals when the protein part of the dish is already done.

1 comment:

Pete Codella said...

Have a great birthday, Shannon!