Monday, May 26, 2008

Winter Camp Out - Yes, I know it's almost June

The Hillers go camping every Memorial Day weekend - I enjoy camping, but the idea of camping with an 8 month old, in a tent, in the cold, was a bit daunting. We went up to Kyle Canyon, so just about an hour away. Every 1,000 feet in elevation, we dropped about 5 degrees. So by the time we reached 9,000 feet, it was about 40 degrees, at 11:30 in the morning. We packed all of our stuff to stay the night, but planned on not staying if it got too cold. Even though it was snowing off and on, we decided to tough it out and stay.

The view from our tent

I've decided that camping is all about the food - I think I really stayed so I could have these amazing pineapple doughnut treats - cake doughnuts, cut in half, layered with a slice of pineapple, butter and brown sugar then wrapped in foil and cooked on the fire. Carmely, hot and yummy! I ate two. Plus we had steaks, bacon, eggs, the works.

Claire bundled up in her way too big coat

And plus, Claire saw snow for the first time, had a good time with cousin Noah, and slept in our tent all bundled up. I think she had fun, and I am glad we stayed.

Claire and Noah

Now for the worst part about camping - unpacking and cleaning all the smokey clothes, tents, sleepings bags, etc.

6 comments:

Kara said...

Dang, you guys are troopers. We packed up all our stuff to go camping up by where Chris is from and there was snow on the ground and it was raining and hailing and windy, and we chickened out! We built a fire and roasted Marshmallows instead and had a cookout today, and I still froze the whole time! I'm so used to this warm city! I should be ashamed of myself for being such a wimp- Claire hacked it, why can't I?

Erika said...

Love Claire's socks. She still looks adorable. You should be thankful for the snow and cold. It probably kept the flies out of your ears.

Matt and Shannon said...

Yes, Matt is wearing overalls for the camp out - pretty hot, huh? He saves those for special occasions.

Jacqui said...

Camping...ugh.

Jacqui said...

I was actually going to comment on the overalls, too. Love them. Very hot and stylish.

Jen H. said...

How cute are these bundled up kiddos? I wish the weather had been warmer so I didn't have to drive home every night. Maybe next year!