Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Traditions

Someone told me once that the fun part of life is actually more the anticipation of the event, more than the event itself. And I have decided that for most things, that is true. It is fun to have things to look forward to and plan for - it makes time go by quickly and you get excited for what's coming up. For example, we have a Johnson Family reunion coming up this summer in lovely Stanley, Idaho, and a Cousins Weekend Trip in the Fall.

This idea of creating anticipation has made me think about creating traditions so my family has specific things to look forward to all year long, and if we start now, then Claire will never remember a time when we didn't do these traditions.


Long story short, my new tradition is to celebrate Cindo de Mayo with Mexican food and homemade Churros (we went all out in college and had a pinata and an enchilada cook-off every year so I have enjoyed this holiday for awhile now). I made some churros last night and they were pretty good - I was very impatient and ate one right out of the hot oil and burned the roof of my mouth. I HATE when I do that. Anyway, mine did not look as pretty as this picture - Matt called them "churro turds" because they were small little pieces instead of the long pretty ones like at Disneyland (yum). But I liked them - here's the recipe for anyone who wants it. I will have them perfected by next year! :)

No comments: