Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Third Anniversary - May 7th


Tomorrow is our Third Wedding Anniversary, traditionally considered the "leather" anniversary. What is with that? I think those yearly gift suggestions are so strange - I can totally get the gold and silver anniversaries, but leather? I guess I could expect a nice new purse or a wallet - but that's kind of boring. Maybe they should all just be the Diamond anniversary? :) Matt has it pretty bad for the month of May - our annivesary, followed closely by Mother's Day and my birthday.

So, we are getting new cell phones for each other this year - not that exciting but we need them, and need an excuse to splurge. We switch back and forth on who is in charge of the celebration - one year I have Valentines and Matt has our annivesary, and then we rotate. So this year I have our anniversary. We went out to dinner last Sat and then went to see Iron Man, which was actually pretty good. It was only our second time leaving Claire with a babysitter (Matt's mom) and our second movie since Claire was born. We realized that we need to go on more dates. We go out a lot, to dinner and friend's houses, but we always have Claire. Anyway, I digress.


My last post was on traditions - one fun anniversary tradition we have is that we always eat Nothing Bundt Cake, which was our very non-traditional wedding cake (Matt's choice). And the other tradition is that we make a CD every May that represents the past year. We had a CD as a party favor for our wedding reception and we have done one every year since then. The songs are just songs we like, songs from movies or concerts that we went to that year, songs from road trips or songs that remind us of the year. Like this year we have a baby theme. In no particular order, our play list is:

1. Let My Love Open the Door, Sondre Lerche (Dan in Real Life Soundtrack)
2. I Saw God Today, George Strait
3. Brown Eyed Girl, Van Morrison
4. Modern Nature, Sondre Lerche
5. Little Wonders, Rob Thomas (Meet the Robinsons)
6. My Little Girl, Tim McGraw
7. What You Thought You Need, Jack Johnson
8. To Be Suprised, Sondre Lerche
9. Lullaby, Dixie Chicks
10. Ever the Same, Rob Thomas
11. My Girl, The Temptations
12. My Hands are Shaking, Sondre Lerche
13. Lullaby (Goodnight my Angel), Billy Joel
14. Same Girl, Jack Johnson

5 comments:

Kara said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope you guys have fun, and yes, you should go on more dates (I'm telling myself the same thing). Nathan is almost two and we've been on maybe 5 dates and like 2 movies since he was born. We are pathetic! I love the tradition of making a CD every year. I love how songs remind me of times in my life. Music speaks louder than words to me. Oh, and I love that first wedding pic, it looks so classic! You look HOT!

Erika said...

Happy Anniversary! I love how cute you guys are with your yearly CD.

Emily said...

Before I congratulate you on three years, let me shout "Hip-Hip-Hurray!!!" that you posted your CD mix. I love your wedding CD. Seriously, I listen to it all of the time. "The Luckiest" was the song we danced to at our wedding, and any couple who has the good taste to put it on their wedding CD is awesome!!! And now I have another great looking list of songs pre-approved by the Hillers?! I am making Tom burn me a CD this weekend.

Congrats on three years you guys! I know I've already told you this, but other than our sealing, I've never cried as hard as I did when you guys were married. It was so beautiful. We love you guys and your little family. Can't wait till we're back in Vegas and get to see you more often.

Alifinale said...

Happy Anniversary yesterday! That is a great idea to switch off planning and I love the tradition ideas. Thanks for always giving good ideas.

And now I want to make churros for Cinco De Mayo every year.

Becky said...

Shannon, what a terrible sister I am. I think I may have even talked to you that day, didn't I? I am sorry. Happy late anniversary.