Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Unique Gift

I believe we were all born with special talents. However, I have yet to find a way to turn my special gift into a positive. I can pick the worst of everything - the longest, the hottest, the most crowded, the noisest, the most expensive.

If I am at the grocery store, I will pick the worst line EVERY TIME. Even if it looks the shortest, don't be fooled. The lady in front of me the other day had at least 10 coupons, and then when one item came up $1 more than she thought (a dozen doughnuts), she insisted the price was less and they had to track down someone at the bakery to verify it. I was THIIIIS close to giving her a dang dollar so she would just pay already and leave the store. Another time I was behind an older woman who wanted to use a check - well, no one writes checks anymore so the teller just scans in the check and gives it back to her, much like a debit card works - the woman insisted they keep her check, saying she had to pay still. This went on for awhile - I seriously have a hard time being patient.

If you give me a rack of dresses I can pick out the most expensive one without looking at the price tags because it will be my favorite.

If I go to the movies (a rare occasion these days) I will choose to sit in front of the person with a cell phone that goes off multiple times, and the worst part of it is, they ANSWER it during the movie. A close second here is annoying teenagers who talk through entire movie.

I could go on and on - but I think the problem is really me, at least for the waiting in line thing. I am just always in a hurry - I am never just hanging out, casually shopping - it's go, go, go and on to the next thing. Maybe I just need to slow down so people stop annoying me... nahhh!

4 comments:

Karry said...

I think your special talent is choosing amazing friends, I'm just sayin' :)

Alifinale said...

I think I have that gift too. I went to Target the other day and the person in front of me had some weird payment thing that they couldn't figure out so after 20 min and the checker putting on the blinking light I repacked my stuff and moved to the next line only to have the checker turn on the blinking light again because of another problem so I had to move lines again. It was awesome. We should totally go shopping together maybe we would cancel eachother out.

Emily said...

Have you ever seen High Strung? It's my favorite movie...from the early 90's.

Anyway, you're busy because you have a full time job, a family, a toddler...you don't have time to be waiting in lines behind check writers (one of Steve's worst nightmares). Head to the self checkout!

And I'm so glad you watch Bones...I don't know anyone else who watches that. It's one of my favorites because I have a friend who's in it. It's hard for me to watch it this season because it's on at the same time as other shows. But I love it!

And yes, you quit 24 too early. I'm telling you, it's the best show on tv and it makes me so happy!!! Give it another chance...I'll let you borrow my favorite seasons on dvd and you'll be hooked.

Erick and Megan said...

I seriously move lines if I see a check book.