Monday, February 23, 2009

Now what?

I was released from my calling as Young Womens President yesterday, a calling in my church that means I'm basically in charge of the girls in our ward between the ages of 12 and 18. We plan Sunday lessons and weekday activities, girls camp, temple trips, outings and other trips and other random things that pop up like fundraisers, babysitting recommendations, etc. It's been a lot of work, I must say.

I was in the program since about July 2005 teaching the 16-18 year old girls, and was then called as the President maybe a year and a half later. I haven't really known much else in our ward besides working with the girls and my wonderful counselors and advisors - I want to thank them for their hard work and helping me look good in my calling. I love women who sustain their callings and keep things moving forward. You made my job easier, that's for sure.

I'm going to miss that comraderie of our tight group - I have to say that I'm a little nervous to join the "old ladies" in Relief Society, even though the average is probably 29. Now I won't get the scoop on the latest crush, hear about who started their periods (I hope not), who made the cheerleading team, or get to watch shameless flirting with the boys in the ward, pranks being planned at girls camp or wild games in the gym.

The girls are in great hands - amazing women to take our places, with new ideas and fresh energy for the task. That is the beauty of our callings - we all have something to offer, and then the next group of leaders brings their personalities and talents that will affect others in a new way. So, now what? Maybe a break, but I doubt it...

3 comments:

Kara said...

Congrats on a job well done! I bet that it's a huge relief to have a little break. I think you'd make a great Enrichment Leader!! I just might put in a good recommendation for you!

Alifinale said...

Oh no...Kara is trying to pawn off her calling on you! You did an wonderful job and I had so much fun being in YW for my short time. I am sure you will figure something out to do with all your time now.

Rachel said...

It was good times being in Young Women's with you. I appreciate the vote of confidence. Enjoy your rest! I doubt it will last long.