Monday, October 4, 2010

Path to PR: Ricks College Reunion

Last week I went up to Provo, UT for a BYU Management Society leadership conference. I am the President of the Vegas chapter, and I ended up being the only one from our group who was able to come to the conference.

Enough time had passed after my graduation and immediate departure from Utah County to once again appreciate the BYU campus. The beauty of the mountains (I never did hike up to the Y), the fall colors (and the fact that there are four seasons), and the modesty on campus. I have been to UNLV a few times this semester to meet Matt for lunch and I feel like I stepped on the set of a music video, there is that much flesh being flaunted. If I was sheltered at BYU, then I say bring it on. There is enough time for experiencing the "real world", I was glad I didn't rush into it.

One of the highlights of the 2-day conference was meeting up with my former Ricks College professor, Robyn Bergstrom. I actually got a little teary-eyed when I realized who she was - it's been 14 years since I was a college Freshman!

She taught interpersonal communications, and everyone loved her class. It was described as the study of interaction between people - who we affect each other, how we use communication to deal with relationships, situations and confrontation in a positive manner. I think I remember more of that class than any other at Ricks. We had to do projects where we were to break a social norm. I remember going into an elevator and facing the person already in the elevator, staring directly at them for the duration of the elevator ride instead of facing the door like everyone usually does. You could tell they felt so awkward!

We also had to go without a body part or a sense for a period of time, an hour or a half day, I can't remember. I chose to lose my sight, since that is something that terrifies me. I had my roommates take me to the bank and I pretended to be blind while I asked the teller to get cash out of my account. I'm sure the bank was annoyed at college freshman being silly, but I did learn a lot, including an even greater appreciation for my sight. We had fun while we learned about body language and studied non-verbal cues in movie scenes. I wish all of my classes had been this interactive and hands-on. I know I am sounding nerdy, but I was a school geek, right Karry? :)

When I was getting ready to transfer to BYU, I immediately looked up the communications classes. They were a bit different from Ricks - less of the theory and interpersonal variety of communications and more in the business field. I loved the idea of communications though, and the more I studied the options the more I liked the public relations program. I don't think I would have even looked at those classes without the start with Professor Bergstrom. I wonder what I would have ended up studying? I might have been an English teacher like my mom always encouraged me. Who knows?

The other highlight was a visit with my sister - oh, and the fact that I went up to Provo all by myself, how could I forget that detail? It has been more than 6 years since I have gone on a road trip alone - I had complete control of the music, bathroom breaks, and the snacks. It was glorious! I think taking a trip alone every now and then will be a tradition of mine, I highly recommend it. So, back to my sister. We had a girls night out, complete with a trip to the cutest, best smelling bakery I have ever been in to get some gourmet cupcakes (plus it had a cute name, so I liked it before I even went inside).

Then we went to see a movie we knew our husbands would never go to (You Again), and then to visit Hatch Family Chocolates in Salt Lake (where they shoot the TLC show The Little Chocolatiers). The proprietors were of course not in the shop, since we went at 9:30 pm. You know it's a cool chocolate place if it stays open til 10 pm, which is equivalent to staying open til at least midnight in Vegas. I didn't get a photo with my sister to document the moment, but I had a great time and loved playing with her kids without having to take care of my own, though little Gabe was especially making me miss Miles.

I also got to have a short visit with my old roommate and friend Jacqui - we could talk forever if we could. Thanks for letting me crash your Saturday morning!

I was ready to come home just in time, but all in all it was a much needed break with some recharging for my brain and my spirit.

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

It was fabulous to see you darling! And I still feel bad for barfing my tragedies all over you. So sorry! Some things are better off out in the unknown. But you know I love you, which is why I barfed on you. ;)

So fun to hear about Sister Bergstrom! She was pivotal in Jeff's and my relationship. He was taking a class from her when we started dating and he wrote a paper about me for the class. I had no idea until I questioned how he really felt about me (if he like me for ME and didn't just want to kiss me all of the time...haha). So he pulled out this paper--it was in letter form and began, "Dear Sister Bergstrom, I have this problem. Her name is Jacqui (C) and...I think I love her."

WOO. That got things onto the fast track, I tell you! Fun that you ran into her. And really, I wish we were both living in that fantasy cul-de-sac and could chat every day.

Kara said...

Wow, what a fun road trip and how neat that you still keep in touch with a college professor from your freshman year!! I can't even remember any of my professors names from my first two years of college! You were a geek! Ha ha! Glad you got to go, kidless...

Emily said...

Sounds awesome! I want to take a trip so bad.