Thursday, December 30, 2010

Poop Party!

Warning - if you don't have kids, this post may seem just downright silly and possibly gross. Proceed with caution...

I think you can tell the level of desperation the parent of a toddler has reached by what they are willing to offer in exchange for potty training progress. Claire was told that if she pooped in the toilet (she is fine at going pee, potty, #1, whatever you say at your house), she would get a party at Chuck E. Cheese. If you haven't been there, avoid it at all costs until your child begs you to go. It is not on any adults top places to visit list. She was also told that she could pick out ANY toy she wanted at WalMart. Yeah, we were desperate.

We drove by Chuck E. Cheese the other day while running errands and it must have finally kicked in that Claire could go there if she finally just went poop, and sure enough the next morning she went and did it all on her own without anyone begging, pleading or crying (I have done all three). I was out running errands and Claire called me with the good news - I yelled and cheered so loudly! We were so excited! So, that very afternoon we gathered the troops and put together a party with the Hillers. Everyone came - they were such good sports!

The other promised item was the WalMart toy - I worried that I would be talking Claire out of a $50 toy, but after looking down all four isles of toys including dolls, zhu zhu pets, Leap Frog stuff, dress up clothes, etc. she settled on a $12.99 bug collecting set, complete with vest, magnifying glass, compass, net and tools. I love when she makes the non-obvious choice.


Now the real kicker is the very next day, she went poop in her diaper during her nap, something she normally doesn't do. I said Claire! You go poop in the toilet now! She did her signature shoulder shrug and said - I already went! So, I guess she just did what she had to do to get that trip to Chuck E. Cheese. Now what? We are NOT taking her every time she goes. I think those months and months of promising the world in exchange for toilet time is going to backfire on us. My next thought is a sticker chart for poop only that she has to fill up for her next bribe. Any ideas?

5 comments:

Becky said...

Oh, Claire Bear! Good for going the one time though. :) I definitely love the bug collecting vest and accessories. I was waiting to hear she picked out a Power Wheel Barbie Jeep.

Erika said...

I love her toy choice! I'm not really sure what to do with a non-pooper in the potty kid. I've never had one. My kids have some mad poop skills. We have, with the girls, and now with Owen, used potty/sticker charts for going through the night with a dry pull-up. It's not working so great. He woke up this morning soaked. Sleep is different than defiance. Katie was a little defiant with potty-training in the first place and when I stopped caring she eventually started. Bottom-line, I have no idea what to do. Good luck! (Some day's I'm sad that I'll never have another baby. Then I think that I'll never have to potty-train again, and I'm okay with it.)

~ kietra ~ said...

BWaahhaaa! LOVE the bug vest. My oldest was the same way- he got a toy at walmart and a visit to McD's playland and then pooped in his undies the next day. We KNEW he could do it- it was more a matter of him just being stubborn. We decided that he was rewarded and learned so we took the opposite approach. We warned him he would get one poop in the underwear and then there were consequences- the next time he did it my husband put him in the bathtub and took COLD water and washed him down... then he had to take his poopy underwear and shake it in the toilet water until all the poop was gone. It was gross and I wanted him to understand it was gross for us too. Well, he learned- he had to get washed down twice with cold water. We ALL found out he preferred wiping with toilet paper. GOod luck...

Kara said...

That dang girl! She is a stubborn one! I sure wish I had the answer for you girl! I say send her off to camp or something. Nathan always did and does better when he's not home and knows he can't have an accident. But then she just holds it! I don't know- SO frustrating!!

Mere and Matt said...

Awesome. Story. Boys seem to be fascinated by poop (well, mine are), so hopefully Miles will be easier. Pottying is our mountain to climb.