Friday, April 25, 2008

Homeowners, unite!

Yes, it is 1:00 am, yes I am blogging, yes I am so upset about this that I need to get it off my chest!

My car just got towed from our own driveway!!!! Well, some good Samaritan neighbors were driving by, saw the tow truck, and thought how messed up it was that they were towing my car so they stopped and rang the doorbell... I had parked my car behind my dad's motorcycle to protect it from being stolen or messed with by the bratty teenagers that live in our neighborhood, and that meant I was partially blocking our tiny little sidewalk. Apparently that is grounds for being towed in our neighborhood. BUT, if you are parked in the street, which is an actual violation of fire code (we have narrow streets in our neighborhood) then they have to warn you once before they tow you. Does that make any sense to anyone?


The tow truck driver (the most hated job in America, I'm sure) said that someone from our HOA management called it in an hour earlier (it was about 11:30 pm when our neighbors came to our rescue). But, those same neighbors went to find our "security guard" to complain and he said he was the one that called in the tow truck. Thanks buddy.

The tow truck driver also said that the reason they towed us was because essentially the sidewalk is like a handicap spot - we can't restrict people with disabilities from being able to use the sidewalk. Well, I apologize now to all those people in wheelchairs who couldn't make it down the sidewalk wheeling by at 11:30 pm. Plus, my dad, who is a fire inspector and has to approve plans for communities like this before they are built, said that the sidewalks don't meet the ADA requirements anyway.

I am soooo ready to move and live somewhere where I can actually park in my own driveway, park in the street even, oh my! OK, I had to get this out of my system. I am all worked up.

Long story short, thanks to our nice neighbors (our new friends) we were able to get the car off the tow truck for $100 (which my dad graciously paid) instead of $300 from the impound yard. Matt has to get up in 3 hours for seminary - I guess we should go to bed.

I think I will rally our neighbors and see if we can all go to our next HOA meeting -I'm sure they will faint away from surprise that anyone actually showed up! Anyone who has been towed from our development, let me know!

6 comments:

Alifinale said...

Oh man that makes me so mad for you! Stupid security guard that doesn't do anything then decides that he better act like he is doing his job so he calls you in. I am sorry. I would go to the meeting but since we aren't supposed to be renting anyway I would probably get in trouble.

Kara said...

Oh My GOSH!!! Shannon, that is the stupidest thing I've heard yet. What about all those houses with two-car garages that park in front of their garage? When Chris' brother lived with us, he got towed. Then some of my old roommates got towed. This dumb neighborhood is so jacked up! There's no where to park, the houses are too close together! I hate it too! I just wish I didn't feel stuck here for the rest of my life in a 2-bedroom house with no YARD!!! By the way- I am so sore, I can hardly move!

Emily said...

Wow...same exact thing happened to us with our old car. Someone called and reported that we had our car parked in our driveway (what a sin I know), and when we woke up it was gone. We thought it was stolen, but nope...just the stupid tow truck people. DAMN THOSE HOA'S!!!!!! We decided our car wasn't worth the 300 bucks to get it back, so we just signed the title over to them...but boy did I have some words for them!

I am so sorry that happened to you, but glad you didn't have to go through all the hassle of getting it back from the impound.

Jacqui said...

L-A-M-E! So, move to SLC and be our neighbors! Then we can go out for Vietnamese food all the time!!

Mere and Matt said...

My towing stories are too long for a short comment, but the worst was when my roommate had my friend's car towed from our driveway. She "didn't recognize it" and assumed that she needed to call the cops and have it towed.
Anywho, I'm so sorry to hear of the lamesauce HOA that you have to pay to be a part of.

Zach and Kate Hulet said...

That stinks! HOA's can be the devil sometimes! They pick and choose the stupidest rules to uphold! Your baby looks super cute and chubby! I love it!