Friday, April 4, 2008

Buy in Bulk

Has anyone noticed the cost of food has gone up so much lately? I actually refused to buy a gallon of milk at Albertsons the other day because it was $4... even though I bought a NF Grande Steamer at Starbucks the other day for about the same price (basically, steamed milk with a flavored syrup added to it). When the whole office wants to go to Starbucks, and it's right in the lobby of your building, you find something without coffee that you can order.

Anyway, I digress. The cost of food - eggs, milk, bread. I heard that farmers are planting less corn on purpose this year, so that means that the cost of everything will go up because it all goes back to the basics crops. Plus the cost of gas and transporting food - and since we live in the middle of the desert, everything has to be shipped into us.

So I guess the way to go is to buy in bulk - we have a Sam's Club and Costco membership, and now there is a new Sam's Club right by our house, which is so nice. Here are some of my recent finds, that also translate into easy, quick dinners:

Asian Chicken Salad Kit - in the refrigerated section near the lettuce wraps, salsa, etc. It is two kits with chicken, almonds, dressing, and all you have to add is lettuce. The one I just bought is good until the end of April, so it's good to just keep on hand.

Frozen Salmon/Halibut - Buy a bag or box of already-seasoned fish and then defrost it in the fridge in the morning so it's ready for dinner. I bake it or grill it up and serve with steamed veggies, rice and/or salad. About 20 min to cook.

Chicken Meatballs - this comes in a two pack, I freeze one and use one right away. I cook the meatballs in a tomato sauce and serve with pasta.

Please share your buy in bulk, or long-lasting, easy to store, food ideas.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I know, I hate how the price of everything is going up! I paid twice what I normally pay for Easton's milk the other day...and don't even get me started on the gas prices.

Those lettuce wraps at Sams Club are way good...that's really the only thing I've tried from there. I love the Orange Chicken from Costco too.

Mere and Matt said...

OH, to have a Costco nearby. Oh, to have competing grocery stores. Anywho, I've just banned grocery shopping altogther. Who needs food, anyway?

Great ideas, though. I guess it would defeat the whole purpose, though, if we had to drive 2 1/2 hours to pick up the cheap food.

Alifinale said...

And ice cream double what it should be and that is sad news! I always buy my lettuce at Costco - the Romain hearts. They last longer than if you only buy the 3 pack at the store and I always use them up. I also like to buy hamburger at Costco then I put it in individual freezer bags and freeze it. Those are my tips for now.