Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I have something to say.

Soooo,
I want to be more involved in the political process as of late. I did some leg work to discover what each candidate has to offer. I went to both websites and did a parallel/side-by-side comparison of the issues.
Hey, remember when we were kids playing ball in the street? Suddenly, an unexpected car drives up or Jimmy's mom comes to get him for dinner interrupting the game? We'd all yell, "Do over!"

Can we just throw these candidates into the 'do over' bin? I'm not satisfied. I think we can all just admit this election isn't the best it could be and start over with new candidates with new platforms.

Food for thought:
If, and I know for some of you reading this is a big if, we as Americans chose incorrectly, wouldn't it be a better idea to start again rather than make the mistake of choosing between two wrongs? This would require an amazing feat of humility from both parties. Lets be honest now, has your party ever make a mistake? Either party ever really admitted defeat? I regret that starting over isn't an option for us. My concerns are as follows in no particular order:

Illegal immigration-
Mmmkay, should we keep the family together when part are illegal and part are not? I'm all for families AND all for the illegals paying their share of taxes too. Soooo, make them permanent visitors who pay taxes? Make them learn English, pay a fine, and send them to the back of the line for citizenship? We can't even find them. I'm confused. It seems like a border issue more than a 'who is here already' issue.

War-Iraq yadda yadda
How much money is this going to cost us? If the amount sends us to China to ask them to buy up our debt, have we really succeeded in democracy? A Communist country owns us if they own our debt, right? Like a mortgage, right? I mean, here is a two year plan that seems more feasible, beware: I thought of it in 30 seconds. Send 100%of our military to every known location of terrorist groups in Afghanistan. Get in, get Bin, get out. Go back to Iraq for a year with 100% of our military. Help them build back govt, police, military, and then begin a rapid evacuation. Still confused.

Guns and Abortion-
One of these I believe to be a right, the other I do not. Barry doesn't say much about guns, except for a section on hunting and angling. He has an aggressive stance on defending Roe vs. Wade. This stance makes it hard for me to vote for him. I can't help but feel these sensitive issues are a facade on Johnny's platform to get me to vote for someone who will spend my tax money in a way I do not approve and give breaks to companies that do not need/deserve them. Not confused, just abused.

Health care-
Maybe those who want public health care can be taxed for it and the people who want to buy their own, should not be taxed and can buy a plan of their choice. I hope we aren't forced to carry the burden the few who abuse the health care system. I admit, I'd like to know more on this subject though.

No conclusion, just trying to rouse the rabble. Post if you want. These views are my own and you are not allowed to use them without expressed written consent. Just kidding. Just didn't want you to think the Hillers collaborated on this. I worked alone. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
-Matt

4 comments:

Stephanie Carmi said...

Matt, I agree - I don't like either candidate. Whether it's good or bad for us though, I don't think it matters TOO much who is elected. No matter who's in the next 4/8 years, I don't think guns will be banned, Roe v. Wade won't be overturned, Iraq will hopefully be over, and I'm sure our healthcare system will still be too expensive for most Americans. Oh, and I'm sure I'll still be socializing with more illegal nannies than moms at the park everyday.

So since McCain will probably die during that time, I'm voting for the democrat, because I think Palin is WEAK!

Mere and Matt said...

I vote Matt for President. I'll just write you in.

-KJ said...

I second that, who ever you are Mere!

I agree with the redo. I do not like either of them, BUT at this point, I feel like we are in a position to vote for the lesser of two evils. I feel that person is relatively clear. There are things I believe, and I will vote for the person who keeps me farthest from compromising those beliefs.

There have been SEVERAL blogs on our friends sites this year regarding politics. Some end well and some do not. Just get Tay on your site, and he will overwhelm you with knowledge...and humor.

Matt and Shannon said...

From Betty Hiller:
I applaud you for going out to do research on both candidates. There is never a perfect choice in my opinion and in some elections I've chosen the least of the two evils, so to say! I believe that you have to choose your issues that are the closest to your needs and heart and remember that neither one of the candidates is in charge when it comes to actuality; Congress and the Judges are! Seldom is a president able to do what he says he'll do! I would encourage you to go to their voting records as that says "who" their character is...what you choose is your personal choice and there is sometimes the mark of "Neither of these candidates"...also, there are others running, just not popular and not publized; voting for the top office is important, but I believe voting for the local officials who truly govern us personally, is VERY important. If our delegates vote for someone we don't want in as pres., our vote isn't as apparent, but in the local vote every vote counts!! I'm extremely proud of you for caring and pray about it; He really knows the truth! You can't argue either religion or politics but there is close tie in my opinion.