Friday, October 17, 2008

Nicknames

I think that nicknames are a nice way to say, I like you. So much in fact that I want a special name for you that only I can use. At least nice nicknames, that is.

I think we give nicknames pretty freely in our household. In fact, I have heard my sister in law (Meg the Snake) tell my brother in law (Dan Dan Noodle) that he is officially accepted by the Hillers once he has a nickname.

Claire has a ton - some might sound like they aren't nice out of context, but really they are meant with love:

Claire Bear
Clairy Beary
Smuntz (don't ask how this got started - it's a mix between Munchkin, Stinker, Pumpkin, and it just came out that way, and stuck, as you can see from it's many derivatives)
Smuntskin
Smuntzka
Stink

We also gave our dogs nicknames growing up, with my brother Matty being the main instigator, now with help from Matt Hiller. For example, my parent's current dog Duke, a Rat Terrier, goes by these various names:

Dukemajor
Dukis patukis
The Duke
Michael Dukasis
Dukage (with a French accent)
David Duke-ovny

I am not as good at thinking up names for Matt as he is for me - his latest favorite is "sugar lips" :)

So, what is your nickname?

8 comments:

Emily said...

I agree, nicknames are totally a sign that you care about someone. I mean, why else would you waste your time making up a name for them?

My brother in law (my sister's first of many husbands) calls me Emilbobin. It's my favorite nickname, and he made me a shirt that had it written on the back. I was about 7 and thought I was the coolest person on the planet.

I call Easton Stinky, and Steve hates it, but it's totally a term of endearment. For some reason I can't think of any of the names Steve calls me, but he is pretty silly, and I'm sure there are tons.

Jen H. said...

Like you, I think nicknames are adorable. Aaron used to call the kids Snicklefritz when they were babies. I think he got it from his dad. Makes no sense, but it's cute. Oh, Turkey Lips too. And what's with the new blog background? It looks good, but I loved your dots.

Matt and Shannon said...

From Betty Hiller:
My mom named me Betty, even though she wanted to name me either Margaret or Elizabeth, but she was afraid that folks would nickname me either Maggie (my grandmother on my father's side) or Liz, a lady in the area she wasn't crazy about; so she named me Betty and in high school everyone called me BB or Heezie for my maiden name Heezen. She just cringed everytime she heard them!

Nicknames are to be names of endearment, don't you think? Names are SO important to people!

Jacqui said...

I LOVE nicknames. I can't imagine life without 'em and I think it's so weird when people don't give their kids nicknames (No, his name is Benjamin and we call him Benjamin. Weird!)

Me: Ali calls me Hawkmonger. It's a derivative of the "Spanish" for Jacqueline: Hawkalina, which got shortened to Hawk, then...well, who knows how MONGER got on it. But it's been going strong for 17 years or so. Another one is Lump Boob Bong Toe, but that might just take too long to explain. HAhaha...

We have multiple nicknames for every one of our kids, but most common are Ashley Boo, Livi Sue, Ether-beeth or Eth, and Liza Lou.

Jeff? He's hon, shoog (sugar), lovie, honabun...whatever comes out of my mouth. Jeff calls me hon and Jack, but really, not to much else. I've actually thought about how I call him a bazillion little lovie names and he mostly calls me Jack. ;)

Erick and Megan said...

You Johnson's and your nicknames are hilarious! At the Bourne household we kept it pretty real. ie.
Breya-Bre
Phillip-Phil
Andrew-Andy
Megan-Meg
Jenny-Jen sometimes Jenny Penny if you were feeling crazy!
Glad to be a part of it all!

Erika said...

I didn't know I liked nicknames like I do until I had kids, and I have given them quite a few:
Stink, -er, -y Monkey
Burpy Lurpy Lou
Snugs
Poky Little Puppy
Slow-poky McGokey
Granny Smith
Squealy Wheely
Squawky McGee
Mr. Magoo Who
Leah Bonilla
Tooter McGruder

And Bob sometimes calls me Tootsie. Apparently he thinks I look like a man dressing like a woman.

Emily said...

Here's a great one for you to call Matt..."Matty-Matty-Pit-Pat." It's what my Grandma calls my Dad (who's also a Matt.) I think your Matt would LOVE it.

Matt and Shannon said...

I would love that. Shan-Shan also calls me Moondoggie. Which is totally not fair, I've never called her Gidget!