Monday, June 23, 2008

Makeover: Strawberry Shortcake

I love a good makeover. Some of my favorite shows involve them - of course, What Not to Wear on TLC, and then there are movies like The Princess Diaries, The Breakfast Club and Miss Congeniality.

However, I am a bit sad about some recent changes to the classic toys that we grew up with. I never really liked Barbies, but I did have Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Ponies and a much-loved Cabbage Patch Doll. I would love for Claire to play with these toys instead of say, Bratz dolls which make me afraid for society.

So check out what they are doing to Strawberry Shortcake. This NY Times article that my SIL showed me tells all about the new toys that are coming out - remodeled versions of our classic toys. I guess it's still better than other things out there...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Very interesting. I had the same toys as you did... not many Barbies. I think I like the old Strawberry Shortcake much better. I had a blanket, sleeping bag, a bike, and all her friends growing up.

Kara said...

How dare they change Strawberry Shortcake!!! She was just fine the way she was! We are a lot alike in the toys we liked! I hated Barbies! I agree on the Bratz dolls- scary!

Anonymous said...

I agree. Strawberry Shortcake looks too mature for my taste. Another one that bothers me is Holly Hobby, not quite as popular, but still a drastic makeover. As for Barbie, I do, and always have loved her, but she has had many makeovers and I don't love her new look either.

Jacqui said...

Why does everything have to be sexier for today's generation of little girls? Not that the new SSC is sexy, but she is sure a whole lot sexier than the cutesie 1980's version we had. Look how she's sitting, the long flowy hair and tight clothes. Lame, in my opinion. Just lame.